The tradition of using schoolhouses for community gatherings goes back to the early one-room schoolhouse days. The present Root District Schoolhouse, built in 1937, has been a vital community hub since then and is newly restored and open to the community to use, connect, and enjoy.
Available for rentals May 15 through September
Root Schoolhouse Facilities:
- Maximum capacity 49 people
- Handicap parking and accessibility ramp
- Schoolhouse has electricity, but there is no running water, no heat, no WiFi
- Community room (1000 sq.ft)
- Kitchen space includes: 4 outlets
- Port-a-potty on site during the rental season
- 3 Tables (10’x3’), 50 chairs
- 5-6 non-handicap parking spaces
- Small refrigerator
- Microwave oven
Members Discounted Rates (Root District Game Club members get preferred pricing)
- Public community meetings/events that are non-fee based: $25 < 4 hours, $40 4+ hours
- Repeating community meetings/events (monthly book club, weekly spinning group): $10 per meeting/event
- Private event and fee-based classes: $15/hour <15 people, $25/hour 15-49 people (security deposit and proof of insurance might be required)
- Public community meetings/events that are non-fee based: $40 < 4 hours, $60 4+ hours
- Repeating community meetings/events (monthly book club, weekly spinning group): $15 per meeting/event
- Private event and fee-based classes: $25/hour <15 people, $35/hour 15-49 people (security deposit and proof of insurance might be required)
For unique cases waived or subsidized fees might be available, contact email@example.com
- NO SMOKING is permitted on the property
- Carry in/carry out: Schoolhouse shall be left in clean order with all trash removed from building at end of event
- All tables and chairs returned to their storage areas at the end of the event
- Children shall be supervised at all times
- Kitchen area shall be left clean and ALL food removed.
- Approved electric appliances that renters can bring: (crock pots, microwave, coffee maker, tea kettle (need bring water).
- Propane grills are permitted outside in designated location
- Floors shall be broom swept and all spills cleaned at the end of the event
- Non-service animals are not permitted in the Schoolhouse
- No decorations shall be attached in any manner to the building, walls, woodwork, light fixtures, windows, etc.
- No open flames in the community space (including candles)
- Rental agreement is for the ground level Root Schoolhouse. Basement is not included in the rental and is off limits.
- Liability and damage(s) are the sole responsibility of Renter.
- The Schoolhouse can be rented 7 days a week, 8am-10pm during the rental season.
- No alcohol is allowed in the Schoolhouse
Here are some ideas for using the space generated from the community:
- Here are some ideas for using the space generated from the community:
- Dance Groups: Scottish Country, African, Ballroom
- Poetry readings
- Private gatherings
- Classes: Art, Dance, Crafts
- Book clubs
- Potluck Suppers (carry in/carry out)
- Music practice & performances
- CSA pick-ups
- History talks
- Food shelf
- Movie nights
- Game nights
- Tool library
- Community resilience resource